Monday, September 11, 2017

NYC Study Tour: The Garment District


What were your expectations of the garment district before your tour?: 
Moving to New York has been an adventure, and moving to Midtown has just been crazy. Before I moved to the city I'm not sure what I expected. Scenes from Sex and the City? Effortlessly hailing a cab like a regular old fast walking, fast talking New Yorker? The Garment District has always been this sort of fairytale that I’ve made up in my head. I always thought there would be designers running left and right and streets full of stylish people running to their stylish jobs. 

How do they differ now?:
While The Garment District might not be the movie set I had imagined it still is a beautiful little section of the city to call home for a while. There are not as many women in stilettos running to work with Vogues in hand. I think my reality is that New York is crazy and there are stylish people everywhere, they're just stylish in a different way. I still love The Garment District but I see it in a whole new light. It’s so exciting to pass by all the little fabric shops and to walk over to Bryant Park and watch the people go by. I am very grateful that the NYC Studio is nestled in The Garment District so that we had the opportunity to really become a part of this world of fashion, and live in the heart of it all. 

Describe three things that were memorable to you after your tour, and why?:
While on our scavenger hunt around The Garment District we definitely took a few wrong turns but over all we made our way pretty well. There were so many highlights to our afternoon wandering. Poking our head into Mood Fabrics and browsing their beautiful selection of designer fabrics was so inspiring to me. I texted my mom after and asked her to mail me my sewing kit! I am an avid fan of Project Runway and I always love running around Mood like I’m trying to “make it work!” Not to mention it’s always fun to search for Swatch, the shop dog, and give him a pet. You might even be able to catch him while he is on his walk in the afternoon. Walking up the steps of the New York Public Library made me feel like I was Carrie Bradshaw herself. So fun and ironic that this was on the scavenger hunt because I had just seen Sex and the City the movie for the first time the night before! You might remember this spot as her wedding venue from the first movie. If only I had her Vivienne Westwood wedding dress with me! I will definitely be back to this spot to explore a bit more and maybe even check out a book or two. Another highlight of the tour was the Fashion Walk of Fame. I didn't know that this existed so stumbling upon it while we were out was amazing. It’s such an interesting stretch of all my fashion icons, Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta, Diane Von Furstenberg. While The Garment District may not be as glamorous as I had expected I definitely can see how this city pushed all my favorite designers to be who they are today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment