Sunday, October 8, 2017

Pros and Cons - International Fashion Week

Milan, Paris, and London are the international fashion capitals of the world. They are home to the world's oldest fashion houses, and newest bright designers. Their collections are show-stopping and trendsetting. Between these three fashion weeks, there are major trends, good and bad. To make international trends simple, I've narrowed down my favorite and least favorite fashion trend and even picked my favorite show for you. So, here's the pro and con of international fashion week.

Pro: low heels are here to stay



Top row: Dior, Chloé, Chanel
Bottom row: Simone Rocha, Dior, Dolce & Gabanna

As a girl who is almost six feet tall, low heels are my best friend. They're comfortable, they're chic, and now, they're in. I am in love with these Chloé boots and will probably obsess over them for the rest of my life. It is my ultimate dream to one day have a Chloé bag, and maybe now to have a pair of chic french boots to match. Chanel and Dior both showed similar low heeled knee high boots. Both were sheer and paired with a variety of bottoms including long pants and skirts. I love that tall boots with long skirts is coming back into style. It gives the looks a touch of 70s flare which we all know I can't get enough of. Simone Rocha showed a few different looks with low heels, including these embellished sandals. And Dolce & Gabanna stepped into the trend with these low heeled sling-backs with a cute clock charm so you're always stepping in time. 
I can only hope that retailers start selling more low heeled shoes. While I've seen a few pairs at Zara, and Aldo recently, I could always use more. I mean what girl doesn't need a few dozen kitten heels in her closet?

Cons: oversized and exaggerated



Gucci, Chanel, Marni

Sometimes I hope fashion doesn't make its way off the runway and into our real lives. This is one of those times. The bag lady shapes of these looks accentuate all the wrong places on these women. I thought we had our fill of broad shoulders in the 80s. And since when is it okay to dress a slender chic women in an outfit that makes her look ten sizes larger? There is a way to do oversized shilouettes that's interesting and flatter and there's a way to do it that is all wrong. I'm sure we won't be seeing these exaggerated shapes off the runway anytime soon. 

My Favorite: Valentino



There is nothing more inspiring than seeing a fashion house as old as Valentino put out amazingly fresh and new shows like this. It still has the unique characteristics that make it "So Valentino" like the classic Valentino red, and the stunning embroidery. It is modern but still has a touch of old-world Italy. Its young but could still be worn by chic older women. Its feminine and soft and pretty and glamorous and edgy. And it has an amazingly creative and cohesive color palette. I love this collection and I think it displays a lot of the trends we are going to be seeing in the upcoming season. Some more utilitarian styles, touches of holographic and shine, and turning blush pink into a neutral. I love every look and detail in this collection, right down to the fanny packs and embellished sneakers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment