Monday, September 25, 2017

That 70s Fashion Week

There's been a lot of gaps in my knowledge of TV and movies over the years. For example, I just watched Friends in its entirety for the very first time last year. Think about a give who has never seen Sex and the City until her senior year of college, yeah that's me. Well, I recently discovered another missing piece of iconic TV that I needed to watch - That 70s Show. Let's just say I'm completely obsessed. Every outfit I try on now is "So Jackie" or "So Donna". I even went out of my way to find the perfect pair of orange tinted aviators so I can feel more like Hyde. Naturally, the 70s inspired fashion really caught my eye at New York Fashion Week. 




Zimmermann is an Australian fashion brand that is known for its effortless style. They also sell a lot of swimwear because we all know those Australians live in their swimsuits. But they're ready to wear has been worn by so many fashion bloggers here in the states that I recognized their name right away. Most of their designs have a little bit of a vintage feeling but they play around a lot with sophistication and current trends.  

Krystal BickJenny Cipoletti, and Amiee Song in Zimmermann
Their S/S 2018 collection that was shown at NYFW definitely had that 70s vibe. Plunging V-necklines, textured embroidery, wide legged pants, and a little peasant sleeve. It channels the bohemian style of the 70s while still being modern and fresh for spring. The floral print has soft yellow and orange tones that give it a nostalgic feeling but its paired with the more modern silhouettes throughout the collection. The other main textile is a crisp white material, its made interesting by adding textured appliqués and embroidery which nods to the maximalism that was going on in the 70s as well. Overall I'd say this collection is Jackie approved and will be seen on all our favorite bloggers come spring. 




Alice + Olivia is a contemporary women's brand started by Stacey Bendet in 2002. She has done an amazing job of growing her brand over the past 15 years, expanding into shoes, handbags, and accessories. I remember finding her designs in magazines when I was in middle school and falling in love with the whimsical and playful quality she brings to clothing. Well, its years later and she is still staying true to that. This collection is bright, young and has a very retro vibe. The long embroidered dresses and matching pantsuits are combining the Woodstock girl with a Saturday Night Fever lady and I love it all. Its the textiles that really make this collection feel the 70s. Her combination of prints, texture, and color is always bold but somehow still modern. I think the girls of That 70s Show would love this collection, which means I love this collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment