Sunday, September 10, 2017

A Salute to Septemeber


 I remember seeing The September Issue when I was in middle school. It was the first time I had heard of Anna Wintour or my now idol, Grace Coddington, and most importantly it was when I fell in love with a realistic depiction of the fashion world. Shortly after seeing The September Issue I dragged my older sister down to our public library’s book sale and begged her to buy me old Vogues for ten cents a piece. I remember seeing the Vogue that was featured in The September issue and being so fascinated by the magical images that Grace Coddington created. 


Fast forward to now, lets just say 2017 is very different than those blissful young summers in 2009. As a young woman in this country its hard to not be involved in our political climate when it comes to fashion. This fashion world today is evolving, its progressive, its new, and its expanding our view of beauty. For years, discussions of race, gender, sexuality, and age, have been at the forefront of the fashion world. It feels like very recently politics have been a part of every aspect of our lives, and if you aren’t making a statement you aren’t keeping up with the times. Which is why I was very surprised to see so many September issues this season that featured caucasian cover stars. Vogue, chose Jennifer Lawerence as their cover star because as Anna Wintour says “who embodies this countries optimism and openness more than Jennifer?” While I beg to differ on this subject I felt the cover was classic and elegant especially for Vogue’s 125th anniversary. 


Vogue also kept things interesting by creating not one but four covers for this years September issue. Three by photographers who have a history of working with Vogue and a stunning renaissance inspired painted portrait of Lawerence by John Currin a New York based painter. While this Vogue lacked diversity in it’s cover they made up for it in their content. Stories on LeBron James and his wife (representing my hometown of Cleveland), Oprah, Serena Williams, and Iman all on touching issues including the death of David Bowie, and raising the graduation rate in Cleveland area schools. A nice finishing touch on this anniversary Vogue was the pages upon pages of personalized ads all reading “Congratulations on 125 years!” flooding the center of the magazine. It’s clear that Vogue is a seasoned player when it comes to September issues and the obvious winner here. Even thought Vogue has some minor flaws, it combines fashion with editorials and captivating stories. While its hard to even begin to compare other magazines to the pages of Vogue, I guess we can try. Other magazines have become more focused spotting trends and digesting them for their readers. There is very little written content which makes these magazines feel more like fast fashion and less of an experience. The pages of InStyle, Marie Claire, Bazzar, Glamour, and Elle, identified the newest ways to have “It girl” style. Western themes, velvet, animal prints, and metallic shine are all on the forefront of the fashion world this season.




While the fashion trends may have changed since that summer in 2009 when I bought four dollars worth of ten cent Vogues, my love and infatuation for fashion has stayed the same. Its amazing to me the continuous amount of creativity and imagination that teems from the pages of magazines. It brings me back to the Nigel monologue from the ever iconic movie The Devil Wears Prada, “Don't you know that you are working at the place that published some of the greatest artists of the century? Halston, Lagerfeld, de la Renta. And what they did, what they created was greater than art because you live your life in it. Well, not you, obviously, but some people. I think about this quote so often, especially while I’ve been here in New York. It’s so special to be living in the pages of magazines everyday here.



No comments:

Post a Comment