Monday, November 13, 2017

NYC Study Tour: Marie Claire


Part 1 - Research:  Done prior to visit on the company, designer, speaker, etc. 

Marie Claire is an international fashion magazine that is published monthly. The magazine was originally published in France in the late 1930’s they later expanded and published in the United Kingdom and eventually the United States. Marie Claire is now published in 35 countries. The Marie Claire customer is a young professional woman who is interested in fashion, beauty, and health. Marie Claire is part of the Hearst Publishing company that produces magazines like Cosmopolitan, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, Oprah Magazine, and Good Housekeeping.


Part 2 – Observations:  Thoughtful observations and reflections made during the appointment itself.  What did you learn about the changing media industry?  Specific jobs?  Your own potential career path?             

Marie Claire was probably my favorite appointment so far. I have always loved magazines and I am currently in the Fashion in the Media class and it's my favorite class. I mean even just walking into the building I was in awe. They actually filmed Confessions of a Shopaholic in this building so if that isn't living in a movie I don't know what is. I’ve always loved that movie and I instantly recognized the lobby. So just being able to see that building was really exciting. Marie Claire is also a magazine that I really admire. I remember checking it out from my local library and secretly tearing pages from it to pin on my walls. I also really like Marie Claire because Nina Garcia used to be the Creative Director and she is a judge on Project Runway, which is one of my favorite shows! Overall I was just really excited to be visiting the offices and hearing about how Jenae, our Kent State alumni, got there! Jenae really broke down her career path and she applied what she learned at Kent to what she does now. I really love hearing from other young people like Jenae who are making their way in the fashion industry and working at jobs that I really admire. 


Part 3 - Weekly Question:  Discuss something Jenae or another speaker said that resonated with you.


I really loved hearing what Jenae said about experimenting with other career paths. She worked in a lot of really different internships before finding her spot at Marie Claire and even there she's grown in a really short amount of time. I also was so interested in what Alice had to say about her career path. She works as a designer for the magazine and works on things like page layout and things with advertisers and for special projects like the pop-up. I am really interested in doing something that's fashion related but has to do with design in some aspect. Graphic design, like what Alice works on, is something I feel like I have a good eye for and want to pursue more. I am defiantly going to look into the classes she mentioned she took at Parsons and maybe looking into other online graphic design courses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment